Wednesday, February 28, 2007

work etc..

So once again today we are at 50% staff. As far as I know, people
may or may not have called in...who knows....its all loosy goosy
around here. A co-worker said that around here, in his opinion, when
they don't expect anything of you at all, and you do even the
slightest thing right, you are praised like the next coming of christ,
if you are a decent or exceptional worker and you make one mistake,
its pretty much the end of the world and you should never expect
praise for being a good employee. I wonder if this is true
everywhere...it pretty much has been in my estimation from my work
experience...The thing I just can't figure out is how to get in the
ivory tower of employees where you can be a complete fuckoff and still
keep your job...Based on my work experience I would say its not a
lock to me a female or a minority, although it certainly helps...In
the few jobs I have had the people that have taken full advantage of
the system have been some form of "minority" grouping (whether that
means race or creed or color or sex)...

first job ever at M&I Bank, a chick that worked there had 4 kids
(by 4 different baby daddies) and liked to drink...hard...at least 2
times a week (if not more) she "couldnt come in, my kids are sick, my
kids dont have a babysitter, my kids got up late." It started my
hatred for people who use their kids as an excuse for their own shitty
behaviour. My 2nd real job at GE...1 guy who used his kid (who didnt
even live with him full time) as a almost DAILY excuse for his
lateness, sickness, leaving earlyness...His son had more missed
busses, trips to the hospital and mysterious Monday Morning/Friday
Afternoon sicknesses than anyone I have ever met. He said (and I am
quoting here) "let them try and fire me, I will have my attorney slap
a law suit on them for racial discrimination so fast it will make your
head spin." as far as I know, he still works there...and still pulls
the same shit....

Then there was the college age girl who would (loudly) proclaim
about her intentions to drink herself floating on Thursday nites (and
thus would be "sick" on fridays) and would also detail at length the
raves and parties she would attend over the weekend (thus mysteriously
would be sick Mondays) and pulled this shit weekly for at least a
year...Then she changed her work hours so she would (supposedly) leave
at 6pm, however, when her boss left around 4:40, she would just leave
around 5pm and get paid for the extra hour...(we didnt punch a clock
there). They did end up firing her, but it wasnt for shit like that.
No it was because there was an all company meeting that we had to
attend and she didnt show up for it, and claimed she was at work
during that time, but her boss was calling her work phone every 10 min
for about 2 hours and she never picked up the line...she just wasnt
sober enough to talk her way outta that one...

The job I had after GE wasnt so bad as far as people pulling this
crap...my boss (at the time) had a really low tolerance for bull shit
like this and ended up firing a lot of people while i was there...I
think the year I was there at least 3-5 people were canned...For a
company that only has 20 or so employees, thats alot. I wouldnt say
there werent people there that bitched about special treatment for
certain employees, but when those employees are related to other
employees...well, lets just say, you dont fire your kid....

I want to be the person that can willingly use my kids as an
excuse for staying home and staying in bed. I want to call in sick
and then go to Disneyworld for the weekend. I want to lie to my boss
about my mysterious alcoholic illnessess, even though I'm not an
alcoholic....I want to smoke 2 packs a day and wonder why I have
mysterious bronchial infections, and stomach pains...but wait, I have
kids to feed and bills to pay...crap...The main question I always have
with co-workers that treat their job as a vacation spot (come and go
as you please) is how do you afford your rock and roll lifestyle when
you arent getting paid for being here?

Bah.


Mail me!