Friday, April 15, 2011

Dear Ms. Baumer:



Earlier this year you contacted me about Planned Parenthood and I want to provide you with an update on recent activity. On April 14, by a vote of 42 to 58, the Senate defeated an amendment to eliminate all federal funding for Planned Parenthood. I was among those who voted to support Planned Parenthood and against this amendment.



I opposed this bill because, like you, I believe that it is in the best interest of our nation to take steps to promote preventive health care such as cancer screenings, breast exams, and HIV testing, as well as to reduce the occurrence of unwanted pregnancies. We all want access to high quality health care when we need it, and for many low and middle income women these health centers are their only source. This critical safety net must be maintained.



Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me and please feel free to do so in the future.




Sincerely,

Herb Kohl
United States Senator